History of Concharty Church
1884 - 1968
In 1882 a band of Muscogee people came from Georgia and settled in the neighborhood, of now, Miller Ranch. They referred to themselves as "Kvncate (pronounced gun - jadi) Indians”. (Kvncate is short for Ekvnv-cate meaning "red land"). They were peaceful and progressive people. There were about 180 families who began building log cabins and started farming. Their log cabins were abandoned at the occurrence of the Civil War but were once again occupied once the war was over.
In 1884 a group formed to organize a Methodist church near the present town of Stone Bluff. The church was given the name "Tvlofyoksv" meaning "end of town". Church services were held there for several years until it was destroyed by fire. With there being no church house in which to hold services, some of the church members returned to the stomp dance—the sole religion prior to the arrival of Christianity. The remainder of the group began holding church service in people’s homes or any place they were welcome.
Lucy Anders' house became a meeting house until an arbor was built west of what is now known as Miller Ranch. Meetings were held there until acreage bough from Maggie Bruner became the location of the present church house. In 1904, a church house was built and given the name "Concharty" derived from "Kvncate."
From 1884 to 1904 there were no regular pastors. Circuit riders preached on a monthly basis or whenever possible. In that same year, Reverend Martin L. Checote became the first appointed pastor of Concharty United Methodist Church.
In 1915, the Okmulgee Circuit was created and included the following churches: Newtown, Concharty, Sapulpa, Talahassee, and Choska. Rev. T. F Roberts, being presiding elder, appointed Rev. S. J. Checote as pastor for this circuit.
In 1919, it became necessary to build a new church house. In 1959, the new church house, which presently stands, was dedicated.